Saturday, July 14, 2012

Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha

Today is the feast day of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha.  






What a great woman of faith.  Her parents died of small pox in her Mohawk tribe when she was very young and her relatives raised her.  She became a Christian in her teens and was chastised by her tribe until she fled.  She traveled 200 miles on foot until she reached a Christian colony near Montreal.  She died after professing her virginity at the age of 24.   


Looking back when I was 24, I was teaching at a Catholic High School as a Non-Catholic.  I was dating the woman who soon was to become my wife.  However, my main interests were sports, drinking with a guy named Duffin and getting together with my college friends to get toasted during major sporting events like the Michigan vs. Ohio State football game.  


I am sure that is why Kateri is going to be a Saint Eh?


Dear Lord, help us all have the great faith showed to us by Blessed Kateri Tehakwitha.  When she was only 16 she was getting persecuted for her beliefs and had the courage to flee on foot through dangerous territory and find believers she could live with in a colony.   She overcame obstacles such as partial blindness and disfiguration and still gave her all to Jesus Christ.  Help us all in times of negative obstacles in our life to have strength in Christ and to believe in him.  May we all have the wisdom that Kateri had in our daily lives.  Amen.


I promise to live God's will and be a defender of Jesus Christ in times of trouble.  

No comments: