Friday, August 03, 2012

Bring Out Your Dead!


In my demented mind, on of my favorite movies is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I love the scene of "Bring Out Your Dead" where a man pulls a cart through a village and dead are placed upon it.  During the scene a person who is alive is placed on the cart and his lines are:

"I'm not dead yet."  "I'm feeling much better"  "I think I'll go for a walk" 

Unfortunately, this poor soul is whacked on the head and dies.



As you may tell the spirit is moving me to write not much of Catholic substance today but, I ran across an interesting article about the catacombs of Paris. 

 http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/world/europe/wus-france-catacombs/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The remains of over 6 million people are found in the catacombs and peopled labeled as "cataphiles" go into these tunnels and find relaxation.  Some party.  They find a freedom in this different surrounding to "reinvent" themselves.  Perhaps it invigorates as we are reminded of our finite time on Earth.  I sent out an email to my co-workers with a story about a teacher who lost her husband and what she told her students:

'So I would like you all to make me a promise. From now on, on your way to school, or on your way home, find something beautiful to notice. *

*It doesn't have to be something you see, it could be a scent, perhaps of freshly baked bread wafting out of someone's house, or it could be the sound of the breeze slightly rustling the leaves in the trees, or the way the morning light catches one autumn leaf as it falls gently to the ground. Please look for these things, and cherish them. For, although it may sound trite
to some, these things are the "stuff" of life. The little things we are put here on earth to enjoy. The things we often take for granted.*

Perhaps a trip to the catacombs, cemetery, or mausoleum is a good reminder to find something beautiful to notice everyday.  Or maybe these skulls are beautiful?

Prayer:  Dear Lord, in your design you make our days on Earth numbered.  Let us appreciate the beauty of your creation each day in matter, people and living things. 

Promise:  I promise to take some time to notice your creations and praise you.

Praise:  Glory and Praise to you Lord for our dead and their peaceful resting places.  







 http://dawnathome.typepad.com/by_sun_and_candlelight/




No comments: